Meet The Therapist
If everything turns out
the way it’s supposed to,
I’ll someday be out of a job.
At least that’s the plan, anyway. When every workplace is healthy, productive, fulfilling, and dysfunction-free with only great leaders and honorable managers guiding the ship, I’ll hang up my hat. Can you picture it? Talk about awesome.
But to be honest with you, most days I feel no threat at all to my job security. However, on those special days when I see a client change and I know things are going to be different from then on, I feel like I might be getting closer, even if just by a little bit.
I’m Brandon Smith and I want to welcome you to this site. For nearly 20 years I’ve committed myself to improving the health and functioning of the workplace. From coaching executives to be better leaders to consulting organizations on how to create inspiring cultures and eliminate workplace dysfunction, I’ve parachuted into some of the most challenging situations and have helped to right the ship.
Along the way, I’ve worn lots of hats: therapist, executive coach, professor, consultant, speaker, radio host and blogger – all in an effort to make workplaces better for each and every one of us. This is my passion and my purpose.
So how did I get here? Early in my career I was fortunate enough to get the world’s worst boss. World-class awful. Action-packed with dysfunction. Through that experience, I realized two things:
I love to coach and the world needs better managers and leaders.
This “ah-ha” moment for me set in motion a plan that included getting graduate degrees in both clinical counselling and business and inspired me to launch my own coaching and consulting practices. It turns out that very few Executive Coaches have trained and practiced in counseling as well as business, and so I’ve found myself in in a unique position to help. Hence, theworkplacetherapist.com was born.
On this site, I’ve provided you a library of stuff I’ve collected along my journeys. Golden nuggets I’ve learned from some of the most gifted leaders on the best ways to lead others. Dangerous traps from the most dysfunctional bosses and unhealthy organizations that you want to be sure to avoid. Think of it as what a workplace Indiana Jones might have collected in his archive. That’s what you’ve got in front of you. From podcasts to blogs, it is all for you. So where do you begin? Start by going to the navigation bar across the top and scroll to “Blog.” You’ll quickly see some menus come up (Leading Others, Professional Relationships, Personal Growth, etc.). Select the one most relevant for you and your journey will begin.
I hope this site serves as a valuable resource for you as you navigate your work-life, career, and any workplace dysfunction you might face. If you find something helpful here, I would love to hear about it, but more than that, pass it on. This is not supposed to be some kept secret between you and me. This is a mission that is bigger than the two of us. We can use all the help we can get.
Welcome and let’s get working!
- Developing inspiring leaders
- Creating high-performing workplace cultures
- Curing workplace dysfunction
- Fostering productive workplace relationships and high-performing teams
- Facilitating tough decisions and hard conversations
Where you can find him:
- Emory University Executive MBA Program, Instructor
- Georgia State University Professional MBA Program, Instructor
- GPB Radio show every Friday at 7:35 am
- The Workplace Therapist, Founder and Blogger
- The Worksmiths, Founder and CEO
- Vanderbilt University, BA in Communications
- Georgia State University, MS in Clinical Counseling
- Emory University, MBA
- EMBA Most Inspiring Educator Award – Emory University 2015
- MBA Teaching Excellence Award – Emory University 2012
- PMBA Top Professor Award – Georgia State University 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014(2), 2015
- EMBA Faculty Congeniality Award – Emory University 2014